"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Some Thankful Thoughts

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day here in the United States.  It's a day we love to celebrate things we are thankful for, spending time with family, eating and enjoying some much-needed relaxation and fun.

But first, today I will be tying up some shop ends, preparing some foods for tomorrow and getting laundry done.  

Before I get into the hustle and bustle of my day I want to share a few thankful thoughts I'm having. 
Made using Rhonna|Designs App.
First off, I'm thankful for the mercy of God to never let me go.  I'm in no ways perfect, but I do serve a perfect God who has been there with me and continues to bring guidance, comfort and correction at exactly the times I need it.  Giving my life to Jesus was the best decision I ever made. 
Putting my very newbie lettering skills to work.

I'm also thankful for this man ... my husband of 21 years.  He has loved me literally through thick and thin, financially, physically (ha! Seriously though..) and emotionally.  
I'm thankful for technology, probably more this year than every before.  I'm a computer nerd and have embraced the internet and the world it opened up to me from pretty much the beginning.  

But now having technology to help me stay in touch with my kids while they're away at college....who knew Snap Chat would be considered a 'blessing'?  :D 
Collage of "Snaps" my daughter posted recently.  lol
And I'm grateful for this sill daughter of mine who keeps me laughing even from states away.   
And this one who is only 3.5 hours away!  It's been fun having her come down to visit a couple times this fall. 
When I told him I'm also down the same weight he said, "Let's take a picture!"
And then this kid...my son...who has been working hard at school and on his own health and was super pleased the other day when he realized he has lost 9 pounds since the beginning of school.  He is built more like my family and has been trying to make better choices and stay active.  
This year I'm especially grateful for what may seem a small thing to some, but has been huge for me.  Having two of my three kids leave for college, out of state, sent me into a major transition from full time stay-at-home mom to...well, I didn't really know what.  

I decided to start an Etsy shop -- Dental Floss Lane -- last winter just kind of for fun and I'm pleased with how it has not only helped me learn some new things, but keeps me busy ... oh and I get paid to craft!!  
My happy place ... and college stockings for my girls. 
My Etsy shop isn't my life goal fulfilled, but more of a hobby and I'm thankful and honored that people would actually purchase items I've made.

Lastly, but one of the most important things I'm thankful for is the hope of change.
Having always been overweight I had many moments I never thought I'd be that thin mom, or healthy mom or even a woman who could resist large helpings and tons of dessert.  

Quite honestly, I didn't feel I deserved to be one of those people.  It's sad, but true.

But almost eight years ago I had a spark of "What if?" and I gave it a go.  I started this blog and made two very small changes to my life -- I would only drink real soda with meals and I would walk for 30 minutes three times a week -- and over time I gained control over my health. 

As the weight went down, people began following and encouraging me through my blog and I continued making changes for the better.  Subsequently my emotional health improved as well.  

Even after gaining 35 of the 70 pounds back and having to work on losing that again I have found endless support and encouragement on this journey.  The little spark in me that refuses to quit is fueled by the love and support I have found online and now in Weight Watchers meetings. 

And well, I can't say how grateful I am for the hope of change without sharing how blessed I've been by the support of one specific friend -- a.k.a. Dr. Stephanie.  She has been one of the biggest keys in my journey.  

We've known each other since we were kids and this health journey has brought us to places in our relationship we never really knew we needed each other before.  She is the introvert to my extrovert and the quiet "I know.  I get it, lady." to my "I'm never going to succeed!!"  Even before I took my journey public to my real life friends she was there supporting me and praying for me.  

I'm a blessed woman to have such hope and support in my life and to have a body that is responding well to better changes.  It's not easy, but it's so worth it.

And now... the chores await! 

I wish you all a safe and Happy Thanksgiving! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow lady....feeling quite honored here to be mentioned in your thankfulness! And I know you know I feel EXACTLY the same way....so so grateful. God knew we needed each other. Happy happy day!!! Talk to you soon *wink wink*!

    ReplyDelete