"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

More Than a 30-Minute Workout


The above photo is a snapshot of my workout yesterday.  It may look like a simple 30 minute elliptical workout, but it was so much more than that. 

Let me go back a few years...

I lost 70 lbs on my own by exercising and eating less/better.  But when days were rough and especially when my mother passed away and my son had a major ski accident 2 1/2 years ago I wouldn't exercise if I didn't "feel like it". 

And the weight began to creep back on.  

Part of skipping exercise was a schedule conflict and I couldn't get to the gym at the same time or leave my house for a run at the same time while my son was home injured from school.  The other part was I think I felt if I couldn't do the same workouts I had been doing, whether due to a schedule conflict or highly stressed/emotional day, I would just do nothing. 

I wish I would've given myself permission to simply go for a walk.  I know my husband would've totally supported me going for walks and/or going to the gym in the evenings.  And I wish I would've told myself I needed to get at least a walk done, but honestly I pretty much just gave up any time I didn't "feel like it". 

Now, I've given myself that permission and I also remind myself I may not feel like doing an intense workout, but I need to get something done.

I never regret a workout and a brisk walk can do wonders for my emotions, but getting started can be hard.

So, yesterday to get out the door and get that 30-minute elliptical workout done was HUGE.  For the second time in two weeks I didn't let an emotional morning stop me from keeping to my exercise commitment. 

And I. Am. So. Happy. About. This. 

2 comments:

  1. Good job mentally flipping things around. I am all for "the more the better" Thanks for reminding me that a little goes a long way too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome. Thank you so much for this. I need to stay focused and sometimes I get off track and let life get in my way. Appreciate this so much.

    ReplyDelete