"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Setting My Challenge Goals

Today is the day.  Today I posted my goals for the Healthy Holidays Challenge on my Instagram account.  To be honest, I would have posted them on Monday, but I had to take a minute to seriously think about what I could realistically commit to.  

Interestingly enough, this week's Weight Watchers meeting was about planning for success.  Talk about perfect timing.  I wanted to share with everyone at the meeting about my challenge in case anyone locally wanted to join me, but I didn't have the opportunity, and since it's not promoted by WW it may not have been welcome without prior permission anyway.

Buuut....I digress. 

Setting goals for myself was hard, because I didn't want to (A) set goals I couldn't stick to and/or (B) set goals that might make others think I was being too strict.

Yeah.  Let's repeat that. 

"I didn't want to .... (B) set goals that might make others think I was being too strict." 

What?!  Isn't that crazy?  But it's true. 

I found myself worrying I would set goals that would make others think, "During the holidays??  You want to make sure to track your food?? "  etc. etc. 

But in actuality this completely contradicts the whole reason for this challenge.  

The point of a challenge is to challenge ones self and to work hard; for me it is also about accountability, encouragement and supporting one another.  

So, setting goals to challenge myself and then worrying I would be criticized for said goals is crazy thinking. 

In years past I have observed this challenge, and others before it, challenge myself and others to keep somewhat of a focus on living a healthier life while still enjoying the goodie-laden, full-scheduled holiday season. 

And not once did that support ever include shaming.  

Instead every week was about accountability and encouragement to do better.  That encouragement helped me to keep focus and I look forward to it doing the same this year.  

Maybe on another Instagram post I'll share how I came to set my goals, how I have made the decision that focusing on the basics is what helped me lose weight and maintain it in the past and how I personally can't put off what's best for my body just because Christmas is coming.  Some years I can, but not this time.  

That's probably my people-pleasing self writing the above paragraph.  While editing this post I realized I most likely do not need to write a post explaining why I chose the goals I made, do I? 

Wow.  

Anyway....

I feel challenged, as the hostess of this challenge, to be a leader and set an example.

I want others to know that I'm here to work hard next to them, but also to encourage them to enjoy this season without added guilt.  

So, now that I've gotten over my [apparently still lurking] insecurities about being honest I shall proceed with an official blog sign-up post next.

Oh, and because I know you're probably curious.... 

I hope you can join me in this challenge, but if not... keep checking in here and hopefully you'll find some encouragement from my journey.  


NOTE:  If you don't need/want the pressure to sign-up officially I will be posting a free printable by the end of the week that you can use to write out your goals and check in on them yourself as these final months of 2016 progress.

2 comments:

  1. You shouldn't worry about what other people think of your goals. They are your goals! I always like to challenge myself just a little. I feel if I meet every single goal all the time then I'm not challenging myself enough. There is that fine line between expecting too much and giving yourself a soft ball. :D

    ReplyDelete